August 16, 2011

Day 9: How important you think education is

Education is important but I do not think it is everything. K-12 is very significant for children developing social skills and learning how to behave in a controlled environment but as far as learning, ummmm I don't quite see it. We are taught to learn insignificant information and to be able to regurgitate it back to our teachers. To be completely honest, I don't even think I remember 20% of the material that I had to learn over those years in school. And my entire life I've always hated school...all the rules, tests and papers ughh. Although I never really liked school I do feel it is important for children to interact with others and hopefully learn things that they can use in their lives.

When it comes to higher education I do feel as though college can be a great experience and a gateway to more possibilities in life. Is college for everyone? No, of course not. But I do feel like if you have a chance to go, you should. It could be life changing, eye opening, enlightening and fun as hell. I'm about to start my senior year of undergrad and although I've had some crappy experiences, I'm glad that I'm here. I've met some great people, taken some great classes and got to know myself much better.

College is also a bit overrated though. People say that you cannot get any jobs without a degree and that this experience will make a difference in the real world. Honestly, I don't quite see this. There are plenty of jobs that don't require a degree and just like K-12 there is a lot of unnecessary crap that we have to learn that doesn't apply to life. People make it seem like you are just bombarded with job opportunities once you walk across that stage but this is definitely not the case. Many graduates are struggling trying to find work and now all they can do is look at their diploma hanging on the wall. Hopefully, this won't be the case for me come May 2012.       

No comments: