August 9, 2011

Day 3: A book you love

I don't read nearly as much as I did when I was younger. College has slightly ruined the pleasure of reading for me. But luckily I enjoy some of the reading for the classes I take for both my Sociology and Black Studies majors. One of the most memorable books that I've read so far is Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shakur.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book because through reading about Assata's life and experiences I learned a bit about myself. Also, her story is captivating and it was hard for me to put the book down. Through her stories about growing up in the south, joining the Black Panthers, being convicted of a crime that she claims innocence to and her horrible treatment in prison, you learn quite a bit. It makes perfect sense that this was assigned reading for my Black Psychology class because the way it is written shows things from a refreshing perspective. If this seems like your cup of tea, I would definitely recommend this book.

No comments: