Take a looksee then I'll explain :)
It's been 2 weeks since I got my hair done and I just realized I have yet to share it. I think its safe to say that crochet braids (or crochet weave, whatever you wanna call it lol) will be my new favorite protective style/hair augmentation. Yes, I just said "hair augmentation," it sounds better than weave lmaooo. Anyway, I'm too lazy to explain so here is one of the many, and I mean MANY (Youtube is so addictive lol) tutorials that I have come across during my research.
It's a pretty simple process. I had my mother braid my hair into cornrows then my lovely sister hooked the hair onto them. Since we did it over the course of 2 days with many breaks, I have no idea how long it really took. But honestly, the amount of time it took was the only inconvenience. And I didn't even mind that, we watched movies and hung out, so it wasn't that bad.
Why I love crochet braids:
- They are lightweight and they aren't weighing me down. I can barely feel anything and I love that.
- They are inexpensive. Since it is braiding hair, it's cheaper than weave. Plus the hair is cut in half which makes the style completely possible with only 2 packs. I used Freetress Bulk Bohemian 20 inch at $5.99 a pack. So I basically got my hair done for $14, including the $2 I spent on the latch hook.
- It's a natural look, well, depending on the type of hair you get. Since I chose a color that was a bit lighter than my hair, you can see a slight difference but it doesn't bother me. I honestly don't care. (My hair matches well with #2 hair but I bought #4 and 4/30 because I wanted to go lighter).
- My scalp is free! I can oil my scalp with ease and choose a different way of placing my hair everyday if I choose.
- It's extremely simple. All you need is some braiding hair, a latch hook and patience to do it (or a patient person to do it for you lol).
- It's a great protective style. My hair is resting in cornrows and the added hair doesn't create any tension or stress. Plus its very low maintenance.
- It's big! I love big, curly hair. It suits me well...can't wait till my hair gets this long :)
I'm in love :)