June 6, 2011

My Hair Woes

I'm in love with my hair. There's no denying that. But sometimes I get a bit frustrated. I've made quite a few mistakes over the past two years of my natural hair journey and although I've learned from them, I still am a bit upset about the progress of my hair. I wasn't taking care of my hair properly for a long time. I made simple mistakes that I didn't even realize I was making such as sleeping on my hair loose, not trimming my ends and not sealing with oil/butter after moisturizing. A few months ago I started reading hair blogs again and from seeing how other people are styling their hair, coping with problems and learning new things it has helped me look at how I take care of my hair and what needs to be fixed. Also, from reading these blogs I get a bit frustrated when I look at my length. I wasn't trimming my hair on a regular basis and my ends kept getting raggedy so instead of trims I ended up cutting my hair 3 times. After transitioning 8 months plus 2 years of growth my hair is only slightly past shoulder length. WTF? I'm trying not to complain much and focus on taking better care of my hair. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want my hair longer. I feel like I could do so much more with it with a bit more length. Also, my hair is quite thin so I don't really have the volume I'd like. That's something that I cannot change so hopefully I'll just feel better after I gain some length. Here's a pic of my first bantu knot out. Came out kinda cute...it was light and fluffy :)

I'm not trying to sound like I hate my hair and all I have is complaints - that's not true at all. By voicing my frustrations I have a way of seeing what is wrong and how I can fix it. If I can't fix it, oh well. I'll just keep it moving.

No comments: