June 30, 2011

Early Life Crisis?

I know that this is common for people my age but I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life. Like at all. Everyone gives the advice of continuing on to grad school after graduation. This is sound advice in most cases but I don't know what to do with it. I'm majoring in Black Studies and Sociology and I love both my majors but what focus will I have for grad school? I have absolutely no clue what I'd like to study further. I was in the Human Services concentration of the Sociology major and I had planned on going to grad school for social work, to get my MSW. But the more I got into the major, the less enthused I got about this idea. I'm no longer in the concentration and now I'm questioning if I wanna be a social worker at all. You know what, no I am not. I don't wanna do that. Plain and simple. Well maybe...see the confusion? lol As far as Black Studies, if I continue with that and try to be a professor like I had considered before, that would be great. But do I wanna be a professor and have to be in school for like 6 more years? Um, no. Not at all. So when I graduate, what the hell will I be doing with myself? Nah, bump that question, lets go a bit deeper. What do I WANT to do? What is my passion? And that's where the problem starts...I have no fucking clue.

I love music and writing and I'm quite opinionated. Hmm, could I be a music critic? I don't know. I looked into it last year and thought that could be an option. But how the hell do you get into something like that? And what is the pay? lol

I like being of service to my people, especially when there are issues that I can relate to. So social work can still be an option. Or some type of service to my community. I'm just not sure what though.

I always had this hidden desire to be a pastry chef. The other night I looked into a few programs in the city  and if I was to go to school, it would probably have to wait a while. Also, that field is pretty competitive and demanding. Do I  really have what it takes to enter this field? Worst case scenario, I take classes in it and get my degree and do nothing with it. I would only be wasting money because I'm pretty sure the classes would be great for me. I love learning something new, especially if I'm interested in it.


I know that its probably nearly impossible for me to figure out what I want to do and have it work for me right away. Many people go to school, get multiple degrees and when they finally enter the field that they thought they loved, they hate it. Or they just do it for the money. I don't want that to be me. Plus I absolutely hate school (always have lol) and I honestly just wanna be done with it next May. But what can I do after that?

Soooo I brainstormed, but where does that lead me now? I'm still confused...I guess I need some career counseling. But at least I'm on my way to figuring it out...I guess lol

1 comment:

MochaNapps said...

well there's always the CRC (still in orientation mode, don't kill me, lol). And even if you don't go into social work, I know you know that you could do sooo much stuff with a MSW that doesn't have to be...you know...social work, lol. your 20's are your years to make mistakes, don't be so hard on yourself because there's so many in your shoes right now, too. keep looking into that pastry license (well...it would be baking right?). There will always be food spots looking into it OR you could start your own business. As long as it's something you want to do, it'll work out.

Love you and miss you <3