January 26, 2010

Conversation

A: Why are you still single?
B: There's nothing wrong with me being single.
A: Two years is a long time, don't you think something is wrong with that picture?
B: No but, perhaps there is something wrong with you constantly being in and out of relationships, and constantly seeking validation from the opposite sex.
A: I don't need a man to validate me.
B: Oh really? Just because he says so it does not mean you're beautiful, smart, or funny. You are those things because you know that from within.
A: So you don't want a man to tell you those things?
B: That's not what I said. Having someone to tell me those things would be nice. But since I know that about myself already, I won't have to give up something because I think I'm getting something from hearing it. See what I mean?


I wrote this sometime last week but never posted it because I didn't know where I was going with it. Last night in my Blacks in Film class, we watched Tyler Perry's play I Can Do Bad All By Myself and Madea made a point very similar to mine. Her 14 year old great granddaughter, Keisha was staying with her and had been complaining about being teased at school. But there was this one boy that told her she was pretty and payed her the attention she was lacking at home. They had sex once, she got pregnant. Madea's point was that if Keisha had been validated at home, she wouldn't feel the need to give the boy something for calling her pretty. Keisha would have already known that she was pretty and that she's worth more than that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this Blog and i agree with you. I was always told I was beautiful and worth more than Gold. So you have to pass that down to your children so they don't make that mistake Kiesha made. They won't look for love in all the wrong places. They won't drop there panties to the first guy that tells them i love you or you are beautiful. Love yourself and know that you are beautiful. I told my daughters all of there life that they are beautiful and they know it. Enjoy being you!