October 17, 2012

Crochet Braids Pt. 6: Straight Hair

Yes, you read that correctly - straight hair.

It's been about eight months since the last time I decided to get crochets and this time I decided to switch it up a bit. I've been thinking about doing it with straight hair for a while now but I wasn't sure if it was something I really wanted to do. Since I don't feel like having to deal with my hair right now, I felt like crochets would be my best bet. I know that the last time I did crochets, it was such an epic fail that I swore off any hair that wasn't tightly curled. Well, I lied lol. Lately I've been thinking about wearing a short bob and you know I refuse to cut or straighten my own hair.  So a straight crochet install it is.

I will admit that I was skeptical when I first saw that people were using kanekalon hair for crochets. But after stalking some YouTube videos, I decided it wouldn't be that bad. Here's a tutorial:



The idea of using cheap 3 for $5 braiding hair probably sounds crazy as hell but I don't see anything wrong with it. It's economical and the texture is similar to my blow dried hair. Plus, after a quick blow dry, the hair feels and looks pretty damn presentable.

My sister already had one pack in the house so we just cut that pack in quarters and she went to work. I was going for a short look but what we ended up with just was not cute. NOT CUTE! So we took it out, I ran to the store to get more hair and we started all over.

Finished product:



After the blowout:
 
Comparison pic:

I think it came out pretty decent but I haven't had straight hair in so long that it just feels awkward. Also, after the blowout the hair looked extra straight and shiny, which I don't like all that much. So I decided to braid it to give it a bit more texture.

Braidout:


It came out alright but it still looks shiny as hell. Since I'm not used to straight hair, I think I just might do a straw set to get a more curly look. Updates soon :)


No comments: