September 12, 2012

Big Hair...I Guess

I don't like when people tell me that my hair is long or try to point out how much it has grown. As a matter of fact, that is my least favorite compliment to receive. And that is for two reasons:

1) Hair grows. That is what it is supposed to do. So telling someone that you've noticed growth isn't really a compliment. It is simply making an observation. Also, when I was younger and people would exclaim how long my hair was, I felt like what they really meant to say was that my hair was long for a Black girl. It is a quite widely accepted sentiment that Black women's hair just doesn't grow. This is simply not true. It's just that we do so much harm to our hair and neglect to take care of it properly, that many women simply don't retain any length.  When my hair was relaxed, it would grow really long, then I would eventually end up cutting off my raggedy ass ends. It was a cycle that I went through quite a few times.

Example:


That cycle that I had has continued into my natural hair journey and leads right into reason#2...

2) I am unhappy with the progress of my hair. While I can see obvious growth, I know that my hair is not where I'd like it to be. Of course my hair is growing, its just a matter of me keeping my length. Unfortunately, I haven't been the best at doing that.

Last night I did a roller set, just like last time. Then earlier today I blow dried my hair. And I gotta say, I lovesss me some big ass hair! lol


My blowout today:

A little bit tamed lol
My last blowout July 2011:



I can clearly see the growth but I don't like the fact that after 3 years, my hair has not made it past slightly longer than shoulder length. As a matter of fact, I think my hair is shorter now than a few months ago.

My hair in February:

See what I mean?

However, I know what the problem is. While away at school I was not taking good care of my hair. So whenever I came home for a break I would have the need to "trim" my ends. Buttttt I'd always end up cutting my hair, taking away any progress I've made with length. Simply because of my negligence. My hair is fragile as hell so it takes a bit of extra care, which I wasn't giving it. I know that I can't expect my hair to magically get longer overnight and I need to commit myself to improving its health (along with my overall health/well-being, but that's a discussion for another time lol).

Anyway, I spend so much time complaining about how my hair isn't where I want it to be, I've neglected to notice that I have made some progress. I may not be where I'd like to be, but hey, I'm getting there.

No comments: