July 30, 2012

Day 4 - A song that reminds you of something sad


Heatwave's "Always and Forever"  from Too Hot to Handle (1976)




Here's a live version:




During the end of my father's fight with lung cancer, he had a stroke and lost most of his capabilities. He couldn't walk, feed himself, or use the bathroom without assistance. And his speech had become hard to understand. On top of that, he had become grumpy and mean. He wasn't himself. But one day he sang along with the radio and smiled. It was to this song. I wasn't in the room at the time but just hearing that he was happy for a few minutes made me happy. Within a week of his stroke, my father had passed away. Although this song signified a happy moment while he was still living, after his death, it just stood as a reminder. It was difficult for me to listen to this song for a few years. Every time that I heard just a few seconds of this song, I would burst into tears. It doesn't happen every time I hear the song now, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't catch me sometimes. "Always and Forever" is truly a beautiful song and now instead of crying when I hear it, I dedicate it to the love I have for my father.  

I'll always love you forever, forever...


No comments: