December 2, 2010

I ♥ My Hair

Wow its been 18 months since my BC. I hadn't even realized it had been that long until last week when I cut off the relaxed ends of my sister's hair. She did the same for me in May 09, which really doesn't seem too long ago. But that's not the point of this post...

I'm so tired of people saying that going natural is a fad. To me being natural is not a hairstyle. Its a choice. A conscious decision to accept yourself in your natural state. Being natural to me isn't about a lifestyle, its about learning how to be yourself. There is something so beautiful about a woman that rejects society's ideas of what is acceptable and rejects what they've been taught their whole lives to learn their own truth. Nappy hair is beautiful and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. There's this certain confidence I found that I never had before. I feel like I'm more me than I ever was before.



May 09



Sept. 10


I seriously ♥ my hair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I REALLY LIKE THIS BLOG I AM TRANSITIONING BECAUSE I WANNA KNOW MY HAIR IN IT'S NATURAL STATE. I KNEW BEFORE PERMS MY HAIR WAS BEAUTIFUL! WHEN I WAS ABOUT 19 OR 20 I ALLOWED A FRIEND OF MINE FROM HARLEM TO TALK ME INTO STRAIGHTENING MY HAIR WITH CHEMICALS CALLED A PERM. THINKING MY HAIR SHOULD BE SHOULDER LENGTH, BOUNCING AND BEHAVING. IN ALL REALITY MY HAIR WAS BEAUTIFUL WITH MY NATURAL CURLS, MY BRAID OUTS, MY AFRO'S. I ALLOWED SOMEONE TO INFLUENCE ME TO DAMAGE MY OWN BEAUTIFUL HAIR. SEEING THE BEAUTY OF YOUR HAIR HAS INFLUENCED ME TO GO BACK TO MY NATURAL STATE! LOVING THE NATURAL CURLS AND KINKS OF MY ROOTS! THANKS BABY GIRL FOR JUST BEING YOU!